Thursday, June 2, 2011

6th chemo down...2 more to go!

There is some light at the end of the "chemo tunnel!" I had my 6th chemo treatment on Thursday May 26. I had such a hard time getting myself ready for this treatment because absolutely every ounce of me did NOT want to go. You see, the good thing is I now know what to expect with each chemo treatment....and the bad thing is I now know what to expect with each chemo treatment. Even thinking of and typing that word makes me queasy. I am just really starting to dread the entire process...I'm not saying that I didn't absolutely dread it before, but it has definitely gotten a lot worse with each round...if that's possible. 

The day of my chemo treatment is always so depressing. I normally have it at about 2:30 p.m. so I'm pretty much spending those days waiting until that time to go get "poisoned." When I get to the Oncology department is when the reality sets in that I am a "real" cancer patient arriving to my chemotherapy appointment...not a good feeling. The whole atmosphere is pretty dreary. I am always the youngest patient there, so often get lots of stares directed my way. And the waiting area is just packed full of people, and most look so sick and lifeless...not that I look much better, but it just makes the whole setting seem mournful. When I am called back to get my chemo treatment, the sick feeling in my stomach really starts up. I am given anti-nausea medications to stop me from feeling nauseous/vomiting, and then the nurse gives the pharmacy the "okay" to put together my 4 drug chemotherapy combo. The nurse cleans, numbs, and "accesses" my port and then gets ready to start pumping me full of the yucky drugs. During my last chemo, even the sight of these drugs made me want to vomit...especially the bright reddish pink one (Adriamycin). I have no idea how I am going to get through 2 more treatments without getting sick. Everything about chemo makes me feel disgusting and nauseous. It's like going out drinking shots of tequila ALL night and then getting sick from it and thinking about what you drank the next day...complete stomach turn and watery mouth...UGH!

With chemo #6, I again did not feel the horrible side effects until about Sunday night. My face started to turn a dark orange/red color, my skin started to feel irritated, my stomach got really queasy, esophagus burned horribly, hands & feet were tingly, severe pain in my neck & chest, and I felt weak, tired, & lethargic. This lasted until today before it has started to slowly wear off...and I have been HATING every second of how I have felt. My sense of smell is so strong, and my taste buds are dull. Nothing tastes right, even water has the nastiest taste! It is so hard to drink a lot of water during those really bad days because it tastes like chemicals to me. 

On a more positive note, my white blood cell count has been good enough that I have not had to get any shots to boost it...I heard they are very painful. Often times, people's chemo treatments gets postponed due to a low white blood cell count, but my counts have been hanging in there pretty good so I have not had to postpone any treatments. Also, my hair has started to grow back. It is very sparse, but it seems to be getting longer. It still looks ridiculous so I often wear a wig or a head scarf when I go anywhere. I was concerned about it growing back since I am still going through chemo and thought that since cells are dying, nothing should be growing yet...but when I asked my Doctor about it he said it is normal...hopefully he is right, since he also said that my burning esophagus is "GOOD," obviously he has never felt the pain of a burning esophagus, because there is nothing good about it. 
  
One of the many hard parts of having cancer and going through chemo is trying to make people understand just how sick and exhausted I feel from my treatments. No matter how I try to explain it, nobody will fully know unless they experience it themselves. Fortunately, most people in my life have been SO amazing and understanding...I appreciate them so much. If I had to choose something positive that has come with having cancer, it is that I truly know now who my "real" friends & family are, and will forever be grateful to those people & keep them close in my life.
I am surprised by some people that I know who have not even said one word to me through this (I think that it is always better to say something rather than nothing), or there have been those who have not been very understanding when I haven't felt well enough to attend an event or hang out like I used to. As much as I would love to continue living life normally right now...my life is anything but that. Don't get me wrong, I love to try doing "normal" things when I am feeling well enough and have the energy to do so, but I am just surprised that some people have acted upset or mad at me when I have not been able to, it really is so selfish of them...and at this point I have no room in my life for selfish people. It is not like I am just battling a cold here...I am battling something much more serious. I don't expect people to treat me "special," but just have some respect for how I may be feeling from my treatments and not get offended or take it personally if I pass on an invite. 

My next chemo (#7) is on Thursday June 9th, please send lots of good thoughts my way :) 
I wish so badly that I was already finished and had no more chemo treatments left...but I'm just grateful to be in the homestretch. I am really hoping that radiation is a breeze compared to chemo...from what other people have told me, it's about 50/50. About half have said it is super easy compared to yucky chemo....and the other half have said it was worse. Each person's experience is so different, I guess I will just have to find out for myself. Thank you SO much again for all of the good thoughts and prayers!! They are VERY much appreciated!!


14 comments:

  1. Love you Stephy!..keep your head up and remember to be selfish. You need to take care of yourself..regardless of anyone elses feelings. You take care of you so that we can have our Stephy healthy again! <3 you! Brad, Julie, Alec & Jovie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you guys too! :) Thank you for the reminder, I forget to take care of myself sometimes :) Thank you for being such great friends through all of this! <3 you guys lots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph,
    I am a friend of Melissa's and heard about your story. My brother Mike has/had Hodgkins(saying had because his scan showed the cancer gone) He too, went through chemo and is now in radiation. Reading your blog made me understand more of what my brother went through without him actually saying it out loud. As a family we supported him and we were the ones telling him to always slow down and take it easy. His last two treatments were the hardest. He came down with pneumonia 2x after his last treatment and that is when he felt like giving up. His spirits were so down. His looks had changed so much. He called all of us at odd times of the day and night telling us how he appreciated us and loved us.
    Now, after his second treatment of radiation, his hair is actually growing again and even though he didn’t loose all of it, he lost his eye brows and lost patches of hair where HE said it was gray. His skin color is back and the deep dark circles he had under his eyes are now disappearing. :) There is hope and there is for sure light at the end of this horrible tunnel.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and please if any of your family or friends are reading this. Do not push her! Her body can only handle so much. She needs her strength!! Instead of wanting her to go out with YOU, try YOU staying in with HER. Never take the day for granted and listen to what SHE has to say because it is something Steph needs to get out and be said for her own piece of mind. Good luck to you Steph and I will be praying for your speedy recovery in this battle of cancer.
    Remember to live, laugh and love!
    Ladina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph I've def sat at my computer and tried to imagine what chemo might feel like in my body after reading all of your stories about it and it is impossible. You are kickin chemo's ass though stay smiling and one day you'll look back onthis blog and think WOW look what I beat!!


    How adventurous would life be, if you were "challenge free"? If you had the perfect body, perfect self-esteem, everyone adored you, and you won the lottery every Sunday?

    Not.

    Now what if, painful as they may temporarily be, you could choose a life during which challenges might arise whenever your thinking needed expansion, on the sole condition that every one of them could be overcome no matter how daunting they may at first seem?

    Everything makes you more,
    Love Britt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladina, thank you so much for reading my blog and for sharing your brother's story. I am so happy to hear that he is doing much better and that his scan showed the cancer is gone! :) Nothing about this experience has been easy, but I am happy to share it with everyone by writing it down in my blog. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the advice to my family and friends...I really could not have said it better myself :) Thank you for your prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Britt, you have made such a great point! Thank you! :) It is often so hard for me to think like that when I am feeling so crappy from the chemo, but it is nice to be reminded. That is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  7. steph you're perfect!!! your positive words and thoughts are magnificent, believe it or not but you have helped me through some tough times lately. :) icant wait for our girls night with a small veggie plater and LOTS of junk food:) take care I'll talk to you soon. and let me know when ur up for it. I'll text you soon:)
    much love and care
    jenny b

    ReplyDelete
  8. you need a vacation after all this is over! u should go to croatia :D
    ivipivi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenny, I am SO happy to hear that anything I have said in this blog has helped anybody in any way! What a wonderful compliment...THANK YOU soooo much!! :) I can't wait for our girls night too! Yes, little bit of veggies...LOTS of yummy junk food! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ivor, SOOO true!!! Would you like to donate a trip to me? Lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Steph,

    Congrats you're almost done with chemo!!! I have Hodgkin's also, but I still have a ways to go, 6 down and 6 more to go. I came across your blog as I was curious about how chemo has gone for other people. After reading a few of your other posts, sounds like we're in the same boat. I discovered my "lump" as well in class (I'm now a senior at MSU) and spent my spring break seeing doctors, and dong the other nonsense things you have to do before you start chemo.

    Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings and I've been sending positive thoughts your way!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ashley,
    Thank you so much for reading my blog and sending positive thoughts my way! :) Congrats on being halfway done with chemo! I hope that it goes by fast for you with very minimal side effects. Good luck with the rest of your treatments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Steph,
    I could never in a million years understand what you have gone through, and continue to go through. My heart goes out to you! You sound so strong!If I was in your spot I don't think I would be holding up as well as you! You should really be proud of your self, and the blessing of being so strong, and wanting to help people understand this by your writtings! I started to read you blog after your mom told me about it and couldn't stop, and read the whole thing! LOL. I hope these next few weeks fly by for you, and all this is soon to be in your past! I seen you walking into your house and was going t stop but I am not sure how you are feeling about visiting during this time. I am sure you have a great support team surrounding you, but if you need anything don't hesistate to ask!
    <3 Anntionette

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anntionette,
    Thank you SOOO much for your kind words and for reading my entire blog! :) That is so sweet of you! I am completely blind without my contacts or glasses, but next time you see me outside and you are driving by, stop and say hi! Thank you for your support! <3

    ReplyDelete