Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chemo-It does a body BAD.

I am going to make a confession...but please do not judge me! And this does NOT mean that when you see me, you can eye me up and down! Upon diagnosis of having cancer and being told that I would start chemotherapy, I secretly thought to myself that although it is going to be horrible, if I am going to HAVE to go through it, at least I will get to lose those unwanted pounds that I had been trying to shed. You know those ones that add up around the holidays and months of comfort food in the wintertime? Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about...
Weight has always been a subject that I do not like to discuss. I am just sensitive about it, and not very open to talking about it...until now. Cancer will do that to people I guess. It has kind of made me not give a damn about certain things. That is what this whole blog is about anyway, right? Being completely honest...so here it goes! Instead of shedding that unwanted weight I was looking forward to finally getting rid of...I have gained weight! Yikes! How messed up is that? On top of being diagnosed with cancer at 25 years old, having my whole life put on hold, losing my hair, and feeling emotionally, physically, and mentally destroyed, I am coming out of this whole thing "chubbier?!" I am starting to think that I was a really bad person in my previous life.

All joking aside, it is the truth. I have been on a steroid drug throughout the chemotherapy, and they are known to cause an increase in appetite and water retention. The funny thing is, I have actually eaten less than before...but that is just how my luck goes. I have been completely inactive...going to my usual spin or kickboxing class while feeling like I have been hit by a bus has not appealed to me in the slightest during this. And I have definitely eaten more "carby comfort type foods" than I would have normally. So it makes sense. Plus, when I have craved something, my family has been more than willing to go out and get it for me...sometimes that would mean a chocolate milkshake...I can't say that I haven't taken advantage of that a little bit. During chemo, when feeling so crappy, who really wants to eat meat and veggies? Not me!! I mostly wanted soft, carbohydrate type foods or stuff that was sweet and cold. Basically anything that would go down smooth and be comforting to my tummy...aka the stuff that is not the best for your figure. I should mention that my Doctor also told me NO dieting whatsoever during chemotherapy, and told me that when given the choice between something that is non-fat or regular, to go with the regular choice since my body needs all of those extra nutrients.


Honestly, I am not too worried about it right now. At the moment, I just want to be cancer-free, I will worry about the other stuff later. I just found it amusing that it is such an assumption that many people make, myself included, that chemotherapy patients dwindle down to skeletons and look so "unhealthy" and lose tons of weight. After talking to many others that have gone through chemotherapy, they have also admitted to gaining weight, and statistically about 50% of patients gain, rather than lose weight during chemotherapy.  
 

10 comments:

  1. You still look absolutely fabulous!!! <3 you!!! XOXO Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...thanks so much Julie!! :) I've been told the extra weight has helped me in not getting so sick...not sure if I buy it, but whatever! lol :) <3 you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Steph,

    I bet though once you finish recovering from your last chemo the extra weight will come off pretty fast, as once you start feeling better you'll be more active and such. I know I've gained seriously 8 lbs so you're not alone! :P But hey, on the bright side, it's hot out so we can get away with our super cute (stretchy) athletic shorts! :)

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ashley,
    That is very true! I'm sure once I start doing anything active at all that I will lose some weight. I've been so scared to do too much and get that sudden fatigue or dizzy feeling. But after all treatments, I will resume going to the gym again...and I can't wait! :) Glad I'm not alone on the weight issue :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi lady! Thanks for commenting on my blog... I have the same weiht issue, and thought the same thing when I was first diagnosed. I was in the hopital and did actually lose weight but gained 25 when I got out due to steroids and eating a lot. I want to start trying to lose it but bc of radiation I'm supposed to stay in the same range since they built the model on my body, I actually think the weight gain is the hardest part because before I got sick I had worked really hard and lost 18 lbs ... I'd rather be bald and skinny. Anyway, I'll be following you....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Emily! Thanks for reading my blog...ugh I HATE the whole "weight issue" and am sorry that you have to deal with it too, but am glad that it's not just me! lol. I was also losing weight before my diagnosis...and then have gained that back plus some! I want to start dieting asap, but I start radiation in August, so figure that after I am all done with treatment and clear, I will start working on it. I agree, skinny and bald I would not mind as much...lol. Thanks for following my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lost some weight before my diagnosis as well, and in fact I was eating 4 or 5 pretty large meals a day! lol. I thought I was just hungry from walking/biking to class (MSU's campus is HUGE!) I want to start exercising more to see if I can at least at least just maintain my current weight and not gain any more!

    I have a question for you though! Did you have any trouble sleeping? I sleep only for like 4-5 hrs at a time during the night and sometimes I know I should be exhausted but I'm just not tired! Any suggestions?

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ashley! That is my goal also, to at least maintain my current weight for now :) About your question, YES I have had major sleeping problems as well. I used to be the best sleeper! Now, I feel like I never sleep, even though at times I am completely exhausted...it is so annoying. I have tried everything, and am still having problems with it even though I am finished with chemo...I guess because the chemo drugs are still in my system. I did the whole relaxing bath before bedtime and tried drinking "sleepy time" tea, and even had a prescription for Xanax...but even that didn't do it. I never wanted to take sleeping pills, but there are many options out there. You should ask your Doctor for a prescription to help you get more sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Steph

    Firstly I have to commend you on your courage and candor to publish such a wonderful blog about your personal experiences. I only happened to come across your blog recently and must say that it is so reassuring to see someone else going through the same thing and when I read about your experiences it feels like I am reading about my own life at the moment.

    Like you, I too have the Hodge (at 22 yrs old) and was diagnosed late December 2010. Ever since my life has been a bit of a whirlwind journey. I have recently finished 6 months of intense chemo (which had to be changed from ABVD to escalated BEACOPP half way through as I stopped responding to treatment) and have just begun 5 weeks of radiation.

    After reading this posting of yours I had to comment. I can definately relate to everything, especially the unexpected weight gain. OMG my cravings were really crazy too. My fav was having crusty/vienna bread with the lovely soft white interior - yum!

    And the weight gain has definately taken its toll as I have never been this big in my entire life, mind you I am only little but I seemed to pound on weight around my belly and thighs (don't even get me started on the stretch marks argh!). The weight thing was absolutely not the result of eating (as I did not eat much at all) but a consequence of the steroids (I was on 65mg a day). It got to the the point where none of my clothes would fit me so I ended up having to buy wait for it...maternity pants:(

    Anyhow I'm not too concerned about the weight thing as it is a common side effect of cancer treatment and most of the forums etc that I have rummaged through mention the weight comes off gradually in the months following post-treatment. Also like you I am more concerned about getting the all clear and therefore I try not to let the cosmetic side effects of cancer treatment bother me too much.

    Keep up the great work:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for reading my blog and taking the time to comment on it! :) What a long journey it sounds like you have been on! Good luck with your radiation treatments! I am not glad that you have gained weight also, but glad that I am not alone in that, lol. I seemed to gain the most in my belly and thighs as well! Not fun :( I have refused to buy bigger pants, lol. So I mostly wear stretchy ones or Maxi dresses. I have also heard that the weight will come off in the months following chemo, so I am hoping it comes off fast! :) The all clear is definitely the most important thing...the cosmetic stuff is minor compared to that.
    Good luck with your remaining treatments! :)

    ReplyDelete