Monday, August 8, 2011

CLEAR scan & my 1st radiation treatment

I have GREAT news!! The Hodge has been beaten! I had my PET Scan on Saturday August 6th and had to anxiously wait until today to get my results. Let me tell you, the waiting is HORRIBLE! I do not recommend getting any type of scan on a Saturday when you have to wait longer to get your results since nobody works weekends in Oncology. I guess people are not supposed to have cancer on the weekends? I was going to wait until my radiation appointment today (at 2:30pm) to speak with my Radiation Oncologist to find out my scan results, but was way too anxious and nervous to wait all day, so decided to email my Oncologist and ask for the results. He had his nurse call me back immediately and she said my scan came out good, and shows "no evidence of active disease." This is the BEST news I have ever received in my life!! I was overcome with so many different emotions...all good ones of course! It is unbelievable what I have been through since February and I am just so thankful that chemo worked and killed those nasty cancer cells like it was supposed to.

When I arrived at my radiation appointment, I spoke with my radiation Oncologist who was able to give me more detail about my scan results. She told me that the mass I had above my heart IS still there, but does not show any cancer cells on the PET Scan. She said the mass is about half the size that it was, and could just be scar tissue, but the radiation will ensure that if there were any tiny cancer cells still there that they will be destroyed. I was a little disappointed that there is anything left there at all, but she said that it is very common for there to be residual tissue after chemo...so that made me feel better. She also said that they will watch it as close as they can, especially for the next 18 months. I still CANNOT believe that I am officially in remission!! SO happy!

This looks similar to the machine that I receive radiation from.
I started radiation today, and will be having a total of 17 treatments, going Monday-Friday (about 3 and a 1/2 weeks). I have 1 down....16 more to go! I am hoping that all goes smoothly with radiation. I will feel like I am REALLY done and in remission when I finish radiation. It is a really fast process, much different than the almost 4 hour chemo sessions I was doing. The longest part was just positioning me perfectly on the table, and then it takes just a couple of minutes. Total was about a 15 minute process. Everybody says that you can't feel anything during radiation, but I definitely felt a warm sensation on my chest where they were radiating, but it didn't hurt. And now, my chest is getting more red by the hour and feels really warm. Fingers crossed for limited side effects.

Thank you so very much to all of you who have kept me in your thoughts and prayers! I really do have the most amazing people in my life who have helped me through all of this and I appreciate it SO much! 





8 comments:

  1. WHOOOO HOOOOOOO!! I'm so happy for you Steph!!!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic news, I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you SOOO much!! Definitely the best news I could ever ask for!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph - how are you feeling now that you've had a few radiation treatments?? I hope you're feeling good!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ashley! I'm feeling pretty good still! It's nothing like chemo...at least not so far. I was told that radiation accumulates in the body and you don't really start feeling the fatigue and everything until about the end of the second week. So far, my chest is just really red and warm to the touch. It feels like a sunburn, and I can feel it on my back too. I've been applying aloe vera and lotion to both my chest and back...it helps a little. The scar I have from my port surgery also seems a little irritated from the radiation. I will definitely dedicate some blog entries to my experience with radiation since I was trying to find other peoples blogs about it to get an idea of what it's like, and couldn't find too much about it. I hope you are feeling well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Steph! That's great so far so good!! I did the same thing last night, I was looking for blogs but didn't find much either. I've heard it's like getting a sunburn (I'm sure you have too) but that's not even all that helpful in what to expect). Good call on the aloe - I'll have to get some for myself latter. Anyways, I've been feeling really good. I find that as long as I stay very well-hydrated I seem to be for the most part alright. (But don't get me started about the "after taste" I deal with for like 3 days after a chemo haha). I'm two chemos away from being done! I can't believe how fast those other 10 went by!

    So I emailed a family friend who is an RN about any creams I can use to help with the skin sensitivity, she said, "Aquaphor or Rad-x or natural care gel (aloe and water solution) I suggest the RAD-X", I'll be asking my radiation doctor for something when I start radiation as I already have fairly sensitive skin.

    I was also wondering if it's alright if I friend you on facebook. I'll send you a request if that's okay.

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are SO close to being done as well!! So happy for you! I felt like everything has gone by super fast for me as well! So glad! :) I have very sensitive skin also, so will definitely look into the RAD-X. Friend request accepted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Steph. My name is Melissa. I have never looked at a blog before, silly I guess. Friends and family keep telling me to check some out so I found yours. I am about at the point now where you were at when you wrote this. I just wanted to say thank you for writing everything you have. I just finished chemo three weeks ago and am getting ready to start radiation. I am frustrated that I don't feel myself yet but it seems like that might be a long time from now. Wonder how you are feeling now? It is really nice to read all of the things you have written because it makes me feel less alone in the cancer process. I'm just starting to realize that I have been going through the motions of "doing what I have to do" and haven't started dealing with all the emotions of the diagnosis etc. So I left a message for the LLS for some support services if available and I guess reading your blogs is a first step. So as hard as it is to read, because that makes it "real" thank you very much. I really hope you are doing well!!!!

    ReplyDelete