Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chemo Class...

Today I had my "chemo class," which was basically what to expect with chemotherapy, and what the particular side effects are of the drugs that I will be taking, etc. I will be given 8 total treatments of chemo (over a period of about 4 months) of ABVD. It is the "A" (Adriamycin) part of this drug combo which causes hair loss. It was pretty informative, but I had already spent hours at Barnes and Nobles bookstore the last few days looking all of that stuff up, so had a fairly good idea already. 

 I was also told that I will be starting chemo next Thursday (March 17th), what a way to celebrate St. Patty's Day! lol. Last year I was hanging out with friends wearing a cute green wig and drinking green beer, this year I'll be celebrating with chemo? Weird how fast things change. I had to go to the Pharmacy to pick up all of my medications that will help with the sickness, etc. of the chemo...there were a total of 6 medications! I was not expecting so many, but am glad that I will hopefully be able to control some of the nausea and sick feeling with these meds. I was also told that I will have to have my blood drawn every time before I do chemo treatments (about 24-48 hours prior), I absolutely hate getting my blood drawn, but might as well get used to it. In between now and next Thursday is appointment after appointment. I will meet with my Radiologist tomorrow, have a heart scan on Saturday, bone marrow biopsy on Tuesday (yikes!), and sometime before Thursday and starting chemo, I am having a minor surgery to have a port put in under my skin. The port will be a better way to administer the chemo drugs instead of doing an IV every time. I will definitely be updating throughout my chemo treatments....which I am NOT looking forward to at all! 

I cut my hair shoulder length today (posted pics). I thought that it would be a good way to adjust to eventually having no hair. I actually really like it, it feels so healthy and light :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment