Friday, March 18, 2011

Day after first chemo....

I know that it is still early, so I do not want to jinx anything...but so far, I am feeling better than I ever expected to after my first treatment. After updating my blog yesterday evening, I felt pretty sleepy, so I just hung out in bed for the rest of the night and was sure to drink a lot of water. I was not feeling very hungry, so my sister brought me over a Jamba Juice...she is such a sweet sister...the BEST, I am SO thankful for her!! 
And I am also SO appreciative to have my mom who slept next to me last night to check my breathing EVERY hour and make sure that I had no fever developing from the Bleomycin...YES I am 25 years old and my mom slept with me checking on me like I was a newborn baby all night, LOL :) It is very convenient to have a nurse as a mom :) 
I was able to sleep with no problems, until about 3am when I woke up with the feeling that my hands were numb and tingly. It was very uncomfortable, and is still feeling that way now, but I put on a pair of warm gloves and it actually seems to help out. Other than that side effect, I have not felt sick...and hopefully will not for this first round...I know it is still early, but I am trying to be positive. I have noticed that my energy level is down a lot, and that I am feeling really weak when I went downstairs to get more water...which I am sure is to be expected. I'll take that over nausea and vomiting any day!!!
Keep those positive thoughts and prayers coming my way please! They are definitely helping, and I am SO thankful for all of them! :)

Here are some pictures of me getting my first chemo treatment yesterday...they are definitely no glamour shots, but here they are anyway:)




Just arrived and nervously waiting in the recliner for the chemo drugs to be ready...they don't put them together until the patient arrives so none get wasted. I had just been given a dose of Zofran and Decadron (which helps with the nausea/vomiting). The bandages on my upper chest are from the incisions from my port surgery that I had just had put in the day before this. 


   
My wonderful nurse Julie and I, she is administering the Adriamycin (the red stuff) through my port in my chest...which causes hair loss and most of the other unpleasant side effects.
My mom and I...we are just missing my dad in this pic, I will be sure to make him take one with me next time :) I am so thankful to have such loving parents, they have been so supportive and have been with me every step of the way! I don't know what I would do without them! I love you guys so much!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics Steph!! And how lucky to have such wonderful, supportive parents. I cried when I read how Mary Ann slept beside you all night ;)
    Love you both!
    Jeniwayz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steph -

    Glad to hear that things aren't too bad thus far. And glad to hear that you've got nice family to take care of you.

    I recognize your nurse Julie! She used to work in the infusion center for Sutter, and I remember toward the end of my treatment when I heard she was changing jobs to go work at Kaiser. She has a pretty amazing story herself. I'm not sure if she told you that she's a cancer survivor...she was diagnosed when she was pregnant and had to start chemo immediately. I think her "baby" is probably 2-1/2 now or so! I always admired her after hearing her story.

    Hang in there and keep up those good spirits! Enjoy your hat party today!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy! Yes that is her! She had mentioned that she used to be at Sutter before coming to Kaiser, what a small world :) By the end of my treatment, she told me that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer a while ago, and is now a cancer survivor. Very amazing story! I saw a picture of her little baby hanging around her neck...very cute :)

    Thank you! I am just trying to stay positive and get through this. So far, the first treatment is not too bad. Only limited symptoms, but I noticed that my cheeks are really flushed and hot, which started last night. I am not sure if you experienced that problem? Any recommendations on a good, gentle facial moisturizer that may have worked for you? Or any other soothing skin care facial washes, or body lotions? I can feel that my skin is already getting super sensitive. Thank you so much! I appreciate all of your advice and support :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph,

    You are such a bad ass! I am so impressed with your courage, honesty and strength. Your blog leaves me speechless. Stay strong and good luck though your journey!

    xoxo
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete