Monday, March 7, 2011

PET Scan...

I had my first PET Scan yesterday, which is similar to a CT Scan, but a little more detailed from what I understand. A CT Scan shows the anatomy of the enlarged lymph nodes, and the PET Scan shows more of the physiology (function). I had no idea what to expect with this test, I was a nervous wreck on the way to my appointment. My mom drove me, and I barely said two words to her, I felt sick to my stomach with worry that they might find something more with this test, etc. The test itself was not that bad, just such a long and time consuming process. 

I was told to "fast" (no food, only water) for 6 hours prior to the test (I was starving and shaky by the time of my appointment). My mom and I waited in a waiting room at Kaiser in Sacramento for about 30 minutes, then I was called and had to go alone, so my mom stayed in the waiting area. I walked outside of the building with the "Lab Tech." to basically a small trailer in the back of the hospital. I went into a very small room where they put in an IV and injected some sort of sugar, it felt really cold at the location of the IV in my arm. Then the Radiology Tech. comes in and puts some sort of "radioactive isotope" through the IV. I felt like it made me feel a little weird, but it could have just been my nerves, etc. They then shut me in this small room by myself, and dimmed the lights, where I sat on a cold plastic recliner chair and basically had to just sit and do nothing for 30 minutes. I asked if I could use my phone for text or internet, but was told NO :) It was just a weird experience overall, being in that little trailer, etc. It felt like the longest 30 minutes of my life!

After sitting for 30 minutes, they had me use the restroom, and then it was time to go through the machine (which was also in the same trailer) for another 30 minutes. So boring!! I had to lay perfectly still, with my arms crossed and placed directly above my head. The only part that wasn't too bad, was I could wear my regular comfy, warm clothes that I already had on since they had no metal on them. I felt pretty sick to my stomach after the test, maybe from the radioactive stuff they injected? But felt much better after drinking a ton of water and eating some food.


Now I just wait for these results, which from what I understand are not going to be too different from the CT Scan, they are just to kind of "compliment" the results of the CT Scan. One of the hardest parts of dealing with all of this, is the constant waiting in-between appointments. I am a "I want to know NOW!" kind of person, so it is so hard for me to "wait for this result" and "wait for this appointment," I just want to get this all done with so that I can resume my life normally again!

No comments:

Post a Comment